Friday, October 30, 2009

Too expensive to divorce?

We're just about a year into this financial crisis. Are we seeing the light at the end of the tunnel? I'm not sure. It remains to be seen. But nowhere is the financial crisis more apparent than in the divorce arena. Financial stress always visits problems upon a family, and these scarcely-seen fiscal calamities make things even worse.

Rediff.com has published an article today that examines the reduction in divorce filings that has resulted as the financial crisis has set in during the past year. Some may examine this trend and believe it is a positive development. I disagree.

Here's why: It's not as if I believe that divorce should be encouraged. I'm all for strengthening families and reducing divorce. As a divorce and family mediator, I do exactly that every day in my practice. But some marriages end no matter what I try to do to save them. They sometimes end frivolously, but often they end because they truly need to.

The problem I have is that I do not believe that people should decide not to divorce (even if they need to and should) just because of finances. Think about this -- would you divorce your spouse just because you COULD afford to live wtihout his or her income? Surely not. Divorce isn't something to do just because you have the money. Likewise, staying married isn't something to do just because you don't have the money to get divorced.

Almost all counties have reduced fees or no fees for people who need to file a divorce petition but don't have the funds to pay the filing fee. Many free and low-cost legal clinics and even some private attorneys provide affordable services.

People shouldn't marry because of money, and they shouldn't divorce because of money, either.

No comments: